We all know that when we exercise and watch what we eat, we lose some weight and we feel really good about ourselves. Did you know that this healthy eating and exercise also has an amazing impact on your skin? By exercising your skin, the body’s largest organ, gets the boost it needs to look younger and even clear up acne. If you are already into exercise or just starting out, here are some tips for taking care of your skin while burning those calories.
- Exercise eliminates toxins
We all know how many toxins we expose ourselves to on a regular basis. Exercise enhances the body’s ability to eliminate these toxins. By exercising our organs become stronger- the kidneys, the liver and the skin become more in sync with the body’s mechanics, which can result in the body becoming more effective at flushing out our systems.
- Exercise helps smooth wrinkles and other signs of ageing
As we get older, our collagen-producing cells become fewer and fewer, leading to dry and wrinkled skin.
Exercising essentially breathes oxygen into skin cells, allowing them to produce the essential collagen that softens existing wrinkles and prevents new ones from forming. Exercise increases the blood supply throughout the body (including the face!) delivering the oxygen and other age-fighting nutrients.
- Exercise can reduce stress
Stress can have an effect on our skin and for some people that means an unsightly and discomforting break out of acne.
Exercise can be a great source of stress relief, and can reduce the production of testosterone-related hormones that can cause acne.
Physical exercise reduces your level of stress and consequently a woman’s adrenal glands produce less of the male-type hormones that contribute to skin flare-ups. Sweating also helps to unclog pores – which may also help prevent breakouts and improve your overall complexion.
Caring for your skin while exercising
While exercise can boost the health and appearance of skin, it’s essential to take special care of your complexion when working out – especially if you are someone who is prone to acne. Here are some tips:
- Always start with a clean face.
It is preferable to have a make-up free face when exercising. When we exercise the pores do tend to open as we sweat, so if there is any make-up on your face it could lead to the pores becoming clogged and leading to breakouts.
So, try to include some facial prep time into your pre workout routine. La Cure has a great face wash that will clear away any impurities and freshen up your face so you can ‘feel the burn’ with confidence.
- Shower soon after exercise. Post-workout showers are more than just hygienic – they can help prevent body acne on the arms, shoulders and back.
- Hydrate. Well-hydrated skin benefits from exercise even more, leading to increased blood flow, which helps to flush out toxins. So remember to drink plenty of water before, during and after your workout.
- Keep it cool. Exercise in a cool environment, and take breaks every 15 minutes to keep your body temperature down. In the summer, work out in the mornings before the sun’s rays become strongest and don’t forget to keep drinking water throughout your workout.
- It’s important to check with your doctor or pharmacist should you have skin conditions or rashes.
Despite the immense benefits of fitness for your skin, it’s important to check with your doctor or Pharmacist if you have certain skin conditions – you might benefit from something that is prescribed.
So remember, there are many benefits of exercise on your body, and your skin is no exception. By helping to clear away toxins, fight the signs of ageing and reduce stress and acne, exercise can help give your skin a softer and more youthful look – the ultimate post-workout glow!